Winning and Losing with Wood Doors03/13/2014 Back To Blog
There are no ideal and perfect garage doors and each material has its own pros and cons that can make it a good or a bad choice for different properties. It is undisputable that wood doors have won the battle with time since it was the material used for the very first door and, over a century today, it is still a very popular choice for many consumers. So, if you are interested for garage door replacement, you should be prepared about the pros and cons of wood because you will definitely win some and lose some along the way.
Possible problems with wood garage doors
• Good wood doors are usually very heavy and, therefore, you might need to purchase new garage door openers and springs, too. You need to make sure they can put up with the heavy load of the panel.
• Wood doors can insulate very well but if you have major issues with low and high temperatures and need the best insulation efficiency, it would be best to get a steel overhead door with high R-Value.
• They are very sensitive to elements and need frequent garage door maintenance service. You must apply coatings for higher protection and make sure the dye is not peeled because it will allow moisture to penetrate the material causing terrible problems.
• The cost is usually higher than other materials.
Win in appearance, investment value and atmosphere
• Wood is still the king of design especially today when you can buy doors in different colors and styles.
• Wood garage doors will definitely make your house look good increasing tremendously its value in case you want to sell tomorrow. This is true as long as you do regular garage door service and the whole system works perfectly.
• It is a natural material and, thus, it is friendly to the environment. It also creates a cosy corner.
• Apart from cases of extreme natural phenomena, they can be installed at all properties in most parts of the country.